Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Question to Sailnet - Moving off trailer


My son decided to take a picture. Perhaps I should get persoanlized tags that say OLDNACL. I don't know whether anyone in this area will understand...but who cares

While I had a moment, I asked some of the veterns SAILNET about taking the boat off the trailer. I don't know whether that will have but I need to have the information should the time occur to do so.

Here are some of the comments thusfar


“Maybe instead just put some timbers atwartships under the stern and jack her up that way. Lower her back down, or not, and then jack up the bow. You can jack on the line of the keel, fore or aft, and then slide a timber under supported by cement blocks.” Sailaway - Sailnet


“Remember to put the cinderblocks so the holes are vertical... they don't support as much weight safely if the holes are horizontal. “ Sailingdog - Sailnet

“Jack up the stern by lowering the trailer tongue as low as it will go. Block the back of the boat up. Then jack up the bow by raising the trailer tongue as high as you need to. If you've got a long enough, strong enough beam, you can block it up under the bow and then pull the trailer out. Alternatively, you block up the bow with a stack of blocks, pull the trailer forward until a trailer cross-beam runs up to the blocks, then build a block stack behind the trailer cross-beam, transfer the load from the front blocks to the back blocks, take down the front blocks, pull the trailer forward again, build up the front block stack again, etc... Reverse the process to get the trailer back under the boat once you've done the work you need to do.

I've done it with a San Juan 21...” Catamount – Senior member Sailnet


Thanks to all the folks for their insight

1 comment:

grizzles said...

Good luck with this Tom. I can honestly say that I am looking forward to seeing how you do this more than any other project! The reason is that I too would like to paint the bottom, but have been kinda put off of it by the problem you're trying to solve! Most advice I got on the issue started, "First dig a very big hole..." Hahaha... sounds like you've got some better ideas!