Friday, July 4, 2008

Bow Bulkhead

Got the bow bulkhead fabricated today and West it. Hope to get it in this weekend, with some progress on berth in bow. Have decide to install, when that come about, two golf cart batteries. They are use to being charged often and should hold up. Will put in the area beneath the step added, with ventilation. Working on the wiring needs in the evening, I have not decided what size, of wire to use, perhaps 12. We will see.

One I have the wood inside done, and glassing the bilge , need to do a pressure test on desk to find the leaks before pulling out backs for deck.

Update

The forward berth is going to be interesting. The glassed in rails on the port and starboard for the wood to rest on are sightly lower than the molded form where the water tank, if that what it was called, lie. I'll West over the rails after leveling the bulkhead forward, so now I will need to do the same to make it level. In front of the bulkhead, I am replacing the foam blocks and behind will have a raised section that foam will go under.

Have decided to strip the bottom like I did the Westerly and 30 foot Morgan. But this time, I am considering using a soy product, that was not available way back. But need to do more research.

Plan to consider taking the boat off the trailer...Will need some advice before proceeding. Again the date to be in the water or at least done is 02/08.

1 comment:

grizzles said...

Hey there Tom, just checking in on how the work is going. Did you take the 22 offshore near Myrtle Beach, or did you charter? I've been curious how the little shoal keel handles the waves.

I'd love to see some pictures of your new bulkheads and cabin floor. Hopefully these projects are going forward without major problems. It sounds like your doing a lot of work to the old gal. Glassing the bilge? The only bilge on my boat is a narrow compartment running the length of the keel which may be accessed by a single port aft in the cabin. I'd have to pull up the entire cabin sole to access this. Just interested in knowing what you're doing.

Check out the CYC blog, we had a nice sail yesterday for Independence day.

Cheers,

Josh