Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day - Sole


Chris and his family took me to lunch while Pat was working in her business. I told my grandson that I would have the boat done by February 2009. This is the only way this will happen. Unless I have a goal it won't happen. The only obstacle would be another presswing project!!!


The truck to pull the boat was new when I bought, has over 200k, but it will last, hopefully


I have decided to cover the sole inside with marine plywood and use the following suggestion from a member of the Sailnet Community. I am going to use west in some voids, though the sole is strong. No need to make my this difficult.

"I did exactly what you are thinking about on a 23 ft. boat that had a nearly rectangular floor area. I used mahogany doorskins that I sealed on both sides with sealer and varnish (resin would have been better) and then used quarter inch white pinstriping tape. I the varnished over the whole thing with about 6 or 7 coats of a traditional type varnish (non urethane), which leveled out the surface and protected the tape. The doorskins were flexible enough to take the contour of the sole easily, and the color required no staining and looked very much like teak. I know this sounds mickey mouse, but it looked good, cost very little, and lasted the seven years I had the boat and looked good to the next owner. After all, when I did this I had all of about $2000 invested in this boat and wasn't about to spend money on real teak and holly, which was too thick to work anyway." Credit to jgeissinger

3 comments:

grizzles said...

That sounds like an interesting technique, I can't wait to see the results.

You mentioned that your sole was delaminated, is the core soft or rotten in any places?

Great job with the bulkheads.

Tom said...

Thanks, the sole appears to have some delamination, but minor. Strength wise it has no flex, but I think before I cover, will inject West in areas.

grizzles said...

Sounds great Tom. I am excited to see how this turns out. I think a wood sole will look really nice in there. Have you got your material yet? How thick is the ply?