Friday, February 5, 2010

Would I Take a 22 footer to the Bahamas??

I could not get Ryan blog to repond to answer respond to his question:

So he says "hello, i am looking at possibly buying an oday 22 and found your site. My goal is to sail out the hudson in NY, up to maine, and then down to florida and the bahamas. Long and grueling trip i know. Was wondering if you had an opinion on whether or not you felt an oday22 could stand up to just off shore sailing with such a small keel, as well as if you think it is big enough for one man to live aboard.

I wish the best for you, your health, and your family."

Ryan, I hope to re-visit and I do apologize for not responding in a more timely manner.

A 22 day, in my opinion would not do well offshore. Basically, the draft is not deep enough nor is the boat as sturdy as I would like. Granted 22 footer can do well. If you look at the first boat I had and read up on it. The Cirus Westerly 22 was build for the North Seas, and was quite capable. While O'Days, Hunters, Catalinas all may say they could go off shore....I would not try.

Now the Chesapeake, find, even in a blow, the worst I have seen is 12 footers, and those are rare.

Before trying get on someone 41 footer like my Morgan OI in a blow.

Good luck

No comments: