Thursday, August 4, 2011

Sailing - Smoking - Health

I have not been up during the last couple of years doing work on the O'Day. The good news is I quit smoking, lost 65 pounds (not by choice), and help Pat on weekend when I am available in her business www.e-stitches.com

The lure of getting back on this or another boat is strong. It is possible that when I retire, not anytime soon, of returning to the Chesapeake. Saltwater is in my blood, there is no doubt. Starting with the Westerly Cirus 22 in 1982, the Morgan Classic 30, Morgan OutIsland 416 and now the project boat, there is little doubt there is a drive to be, now this may sound silly, to be in a crisis situation on the water. Why is that? I experienced severe storms, mechanical problems while under sail, medical situations, and down right difficult people (not sailors or power boaters) . All has given me an appreciation of life and my family, a mindset that nothing is impossible, an understanding of adapting in a moment's notice without fear. Crisis is not a part of my make up.

Though I did not proceed with obtaining my doctorate , I think it is about time reduce thoughts to paper. Whether it will benefit others, I really don't care but would hope. What I do know is that, and I do not mean this as arrogant, but I have understanding of the human situation t better than many others in my field. Where did this come from? It came from those events during sailing that made me strong and a willingness to adapt, seeing a crisis as an opportunity to improve, and providing insight into issues as result of contacts. So much for a soap box.

No comments: